The Violet Storm



It's really cool for me to see this image on so many things. The eruption of metallic glow mixing through the yellow, green, and white. I get lost in the cell structures wondering if what I am seeing is real. It breaks likely every one of the traditional rules for how a two cup flip pour should be. Not even sure the traditionalists would call it art. I think that is the point though, to break rules. I went back and watched the video of the creation. It was maybe the second time I had tried on a canvas that size at 18x24. A couple of pieces bigger have poured on them, but they only took up part of the canvas. This was the whole thing... with two cups... and a camera watching... Which at least I didn't really have to worry about my face being seen since the action is on the canvas. I wasn't having the best hair days. Ha! I could have used a hat maybe with this design printed on it. Or a shirt. Or a pair of socks Or a face-covering because not everyone likes the word mask.



So each step of this art journey has been building on dreams. I first thought that I should create something. Then I thought about creating something else from that. It's a little weird to say that I wake up full of ideas, but maybe instead they are signs and messages. Either way... if it is God, Ancestors, or our own Inner Voice... I believe we are often told what path to travel in order to make an impact. I first had this come a few years back to me to begin making art. My life in a sense was a violet storm or at least had been taken over by purple rain. Pun totally intended. I never realized how tied to my life that color/song/movie was. Not until it seemed like an inescapable soundtrack for this journey. The hues began to consume me in ways until I found a way back towards normal light. That's the story I feel this piece tells. It shows my road back from a hex triplet #80080 abyss. Someone will get that.  






So I guess to recap, I woke up one day and decided "hey I am going to learn how to do acrylic pouring then I went and did it. Then I woke up one day and said "hey let's make a big ass purple painting" so I did that. Then I woke up and said "hey that looks cool" and decided to share it. I woke up another morning and said "hey let's put that cool design on stuff" so did some research into products. Then just today I woke up and decided "hey let's share the story" remembering that I had a video of the creation, so spent the day editing that to put into a blog post. I think they call that progress. The next step who knows. I would say to sell the original for enough to get a decent print for my wall. Have it hang in some museum or gallery or home of a well-known collector who likes to throw parties. But have the design show up on everything as I walk around the museum or gallery or collector's home. Like on everything from neckties to party dresses. Oh... I haven't designed a necktie yet! 


Done! It's easy for me to make a new product for this piece. I want to see just how many options I have to offer. I know from my visits to museums that I was not able to own the original, and some visits couldn't even afford a decent print. When I first moved to St Petersburg I visited the Salvador Dali museum. You could say it was inspiring, which I will have to write more about in another blog post. I do remember though not being able to afford to take home many of the souvenirs offered. I wanted to cover my walls with his work. So I found in a corner where the museum sold postcards for a dollar each. I bought ten favorites, deciding to finally mail a couple before framing the rest. One, in particular, was an early self-portrait he created. It shows him sitting at a desk in front of a window with random pieces surrounding. I think of that piece as I now sit at my desk, sunlight coming through a window, surrounded by artwork. I didn't see that piece available to buy in any of the other sized prints, at least not affordable. So the postcard began to hang over my desk area. Over the years my collection of pieces has grown and changed. My homes and desk have also. Even the frame used to protect that postcard has changed in the past decade-plus. So yeah it would be cool if you bought a postcard and stuck it in a frame. Or just get a print of it or the design onto something. 

Now to think of what I want to make tomorrow?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is personal

Shroom Beach

Dad In His Chair